City of Oak Park
14000 Oak Park Blvd.
Oak Park, MI 48237
Boards and Commissions
Employees Retirement Board
Public Safety Retirement Board
Economic Development Corporation
Library Advisory Board
Water Board of Hearing
About City Manager Tungate
Erik Tungate is an experienced International City/County Management Association, or ICMA, credentialed City Manager who has a strong record of accomplishments working as the Chief Executive of several local units of government. His areas of expertise includes community and economic development, public safety, and strong financial management at the local, county, and state levels of government. He has also held similar positions in [as well as] the private sector in the field of corporate banking.
Prior to becoming a City Manager, Mr. Tungate was employed in various community and economic development capacities, including as the National Business Attraction Senior Manager at the state level of the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, or MEDC. In this role, he was credited with packaging complex investment packages for national business relocation prospects across the state of Michigan. Before his career in community and economic development, he worked in corporate banking as a Senior Financial/Credit Analyst.
Mr. Tungate is a graduate of Western Michigan University (Bachelors, 1999) and Wayne State University (M.B.A., 2001). He has certifications in community and economic development and from the International Public Management Association, or IPMA, in human resources. He is also certified as a credentialed City Manager by the International City/County Management Association, or ICMA.
He is a member of the Class of 2014 Crain’s Detroit Business 40 Under 40 and serves on the board of directors for several nonprofits and boards including:
- Vice President, Metro Matters
- Commissioner, City of Oak Park Commission
- Chairperson, City of Oak Park General Retirement System
- Chairperson, City of Oak Park Public Safety Retirement System
- Board Member, City of Oak Park Economic Development Corporation/Brownfield Authority
- Treasurer, Mariner’s Inn of Detroit
- Board Member, Eight Mile Boulevard Association
- Board Member, Executive Committee, Southeast Michigan Council of Governments, or SEMCOG
- Board Member, Municipal Finance Subcommittee, Michigan Municipal League, or MML