The City Treasurer's office bills and collects:
- real and personal property taxes
- special assessments
- miscellaneous receivables, or MR, invoices
- fees for other miscellaneous services provided by the City
If you have any questions concerning tax statements, the collection process, or the deferment process, please contact the Treasurer’s Office at (248) 691-7545.
Tax Due Dates
The Summer Property Tax Bills are mailed July 1. The summer taxes are payable July 1 through August 31 without penalty.
The Winter Property Tax Bills are mailed December 1. The winter taxes are payable December 1 through February 14 without penalty.
Helpful Information About Tax Due Dates
- If a mortgage company is responsible for the payment of your property taxes, the tax statement will be sent directly to their tax department or servicing company, provided they have submitted a written request for us to do so. An informational copy will be sent to the property owner.
- It is ultimately the owner’s responsibility to assure that the taxes are paid.
- Failure to receive a tax statement does not waive responsibility of payment within normal terms.
- If a tax statement reaches you in error, please do not destroy it. Return the tax statement to the City.
- Your cancelled check is your receipt. Checks are accepted only as a conditional payment. If not honored by bank, tax is unpaid and subject to unpaid tax penalties along with a $30.00 fee on returned checks.
- If a receipt is requested, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment.
- Businesses in existence on tax day shall be taxed as such for the full year. Personal and Real property are assessed as of tax day, December 31.
There are four ways in which a tax bill can be paid:
- Mailed via U.S. Postal Service to Treasury Division, City Hall, 14000 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park, MI 48237.
- In-person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 14000 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park, MI 48237.
- Deposited in the City's Payment Drop Box, located in front of City Hall, 14000 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park, MI 48237.
- Online with a debit/credit card through BS&A Online . Online payments are subject to a fee of 2.75% with a minimum of $3.95 for real property tax payments. All debit and credit cards are accepted.
Beginning September 1, there will be a 4% penalty charged to all unpaid summer property taxes. Beginning October 1, an additional penalty of one-half of 1% per month will be assessed, not to exceed 6%.
Winter property taxes paid after February 14 will incur a 3% penalty.
Beginning March 1 of the following year, all unpaid property taxes from the previous year must be paid to Oakland County Treasurer, when additional penalties may apply. During the month of March, a revised statement from the City Treasurer must accompany your remittance to the Oakland County Treasurer.
Postmarks are not accepted.
Property Tax Inquiries
Did you know that you can inquire about your Property Taxes online? Visit BS&A Online, a database of government information.
For Millage Rates information, visit:
2020 Winter Millage Rates
2020 Summer Millage Rates
2019 Winter Millage Rates
2019 Summer Millage Rates
2018 Winter Millage Rates
2018 Summer Millage Rates
2017 Winter Millage Rates
2017 Summer Millage Rates
2016 Winter Millage Rates
2016 Summer Millage Rates
Property Tax Presentation Provided During July 17, 2017 City Council Presentation
Do you have questions about your property taxes? You are not alone. At the Monday, July 17, 2017 City Council meeting, City Manager Erik Tungate and staff discussed property taxes in hopes of answering the most frequently asked questions.
The presentations can be viewed in its entirety on the video of the City Council Meeting of July 17, 2017. To download the City Council presentation, click on Property Tax Presentation.
Or, if you prefer, feel free to call the Treasury Division at (248) 691-7545.