Accessibility Site Map
Translate Font

Animal Code Enforcement Information

Did You Know?

The City provides a publication, "Welcome to the City of Oak Park, Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.” For a copy, please call (248) 691-7520. Here are a few of the animal code enforcement questions we hear most often - and the answers we provide.

Animal Code Enforcement Information

  • What does Code Enforcement do?
    • Code Enforcement Officers enforce City Ordinances that deal specifically with dogs and cats and code violations on private property. They also advise and assist citizens on subjects dealing with wildlife.
  • Where is Code Enforcement located?
    • Animal Control Enforcement is part of the Department of Municipal Services Division located at 14300 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park, Mich., and can be contacted at (248) 691-7450.
  • Does my dog need to be on a leash? Is my cat allowed to run loose?
    • Yes. Reasonable control must be exercised with both dogs and cats.
    • Reasonable control means keeping a dog on a suitable leash and keeping a cat on a suitable leash or harness while off the premises of the owner or custodian. Unless the dog or cat is confined in a closed vehicle or shipping receptacle dogs and/or cats must be licensed and on a leash. In addition, the owner is responsible for removing all animal droppings.
  • How many dogs or cats are citizens allowed?
    • Citizens are allowed three dogs and/or three cats.
  • Do dogs or cats need to be licensed?
    • Yes.
  • What do I need to obtain a license and where do I go?
    • You need a current Rabies Certificate from your veterinarian. You must take the certificate to the Oak Park Public Safety Records Bureau to purchase a license. The cost for a license of a neutered animal (proof required) is $7.00 per year or a three year license $15.00. The fee for animals that are not neutered is $16.00 annually or a three year license for $30.00. Contact the Records Bureau if further information is needed at (248) 691-7526 during business hours, 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • If a stray animal is picked up, where do the Code Enforcement Officers take it?
    • The animal is taken to the City Pound located at 10600 Capital. The hours of operation for the City pound are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Summer hours are 10:30 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
  • Who should I contact if bitten by an animal?
    • If the incident occurs between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., call Animal Control Code Enforcement at (248) 691-7450. If the animal bite occurs after hours or on the weekend, call the Public Safety Department at (248) 691-7520 and they will take the report.
  • Does the Public Safety Department have records of lost animals?
    • Yes, but only if the owner calls and reports the animal missing. The Public Safety Department’s record of lost and found animals contains only those that are reported to the Oak Park Department of Public Safety.
  • Does the Public Safety Department pick up lost or dead animals?
    • No. Animal Control Code Enforcement will pick up dead or lost animals. You should Contact the Animal Control enforcement Division at (248) 691-7450. 
  • Will Animal Control Code Enforcement pick up "wild animals"?
    • No. You must call a private Pest Control company. Check in your Yellow Pages for animal removal services.

Animal License Application

To apply for an Animal License online, visit Animal License Application. Or, if you prefer, applications can be obtained from the Records Department, Department of Public Safety, City of Oak Park, 14000 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park, MI 48237 during regular business hours. For more information, call (248) 691-7520.