Meet Our Recreation Director
City of Oak Park
14300 Oak Park Blvd.
Oak Park, MI 48237
Boards and Commissions:
Independence Day Commission
What Does a Recreation Director Do?
The City of Oak Park Recreation Director plans, develops and directs the municipal recreation program; surveys community recreation needs and interests; and maintains recreation facilities. Specifically, the Recreation Director performs in the following capacities:
- Plans, coordinates and supervises the recreation program, facilities and equipment.
- Supervises the maintenance of recreation areas and facilities needed to provide adequate community service.
- Implements and directs comprehensive recreation programs for all age groups.
- Coordinates city programs with other recreation activities.
- Plans and directs the maintenance of parks and recreation areas, including playgrounds, swimming pools, and picnic grounds.
- Makes arrangements for the use of various public facilities, including school buildings and grounds.
- Forecasts future recreation needs and recommends new and innovative recreation programs for the community.
- Prepares correspondence and communication pertaining to recreation activities and prepares publicity designed to arouse public interest.
- Seeks available local, state and national grants.
- Maintains an inventory of departmental equipment and plans for future equipment needs.
- Recruits, trains, supervises and evaluates departmental personnel.
- Community relations.